I am currently listening to The Beatles, smelling a delicious candle (Autumn by Bath and Body Works.....I know...it's not autumn, anymore), and trying to figure out my weekly grocery order. It's a pretty exciting Saturday night for the Fancy Ginger. Now onto Part 2 of my NYC adventure....let's all cross our fingers that ALL of my pictures upload tonight.
*********************************************************************************
Sunday, December 27th: I am pretty sure we slept-in that day....perhaps this was the day the Doctor Who marathon was on BBC America----I watched many episodes of it that morning (David Tennant was the doctor--he was my fave doctor..fyi). Eventually we removed ourselves from the couch, got ready and headed to Murray's Cheese Bar (264 Bleecker St.--such a cute part of the city).
My sister and I LOVE cheese...any kind....it doesn't matter. We don't discriminate. So with that in mind, we decided to order 4 different cheeses and meats (chosen by the cheese monger). I really should have written down what we had, because I cannot remember. But, they were all delicious. When I grow up, I want to be a cheese monger. If you visit NYC and love cheese, you must stop here.
After we ate, we needed dessert. Next stop was Big Gay Ice Cream (walking distance from Murray's Cheese Bar). My parents visited this little shop this past summer. If you look up top ice cream shops in the United States, this one always makes those lists, and for good reason. Their flavors and flavor combinations are not only creative, but very delicious. This is also a popular spot that not only attracts tourists, but locals also head to it when they need a sweet fix. :) Since it was a little cold out, and I needed a pick me up-I decided to go for their Affogato (coffee and ice cream).....which I proceeded to spill all over myself (oh, fancy ginger). Next time, I am going to be a little more adventurous and go for the Bea Arthur.
Monday, December 28th: My sister had to work this day, so I got go off on my own for bit. I decided to head to Central Park and spend sometime at Strawberry Fields. I quickly made friends with one of the performers at Strawberry Fields; a man in his 60's who has performed in Strawberry Fields since it's dedication. **For those that are not familiar with Strawberry Fields, it is a lovely section the park dedicated to John Lennon. The Dakota (John's apartment building he resided in) overlooks Strawberry Fields.***
Anywho--this gentleman told me stories of his encounters with the fab four (fascinating), offered me part of his egg sandwich, and wanted to give me his gloves because he thought I was cold. Oh bless him. He was a gem...he's not the only one--the city and world are full of these gems....fyi.
Next, I decided to walk across Central Park (not as far as you think) to get to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. $25 is the suggested price for an adult ticket, however you can pay what you are able. :) One of my favorite parts of this museum was the Egyptian artifacts and the Greek/Roman sculptures.
That night, Elizabeth and I went to the jazz club 55 Below...I think that's what it was called. I don't have much experience listening to jazz music, but this was fun. However--by 10:30 I was dead tired. So, I UBER-ed it on home....and ordered sushi (I became addicted to Grub Hub on this trip...one click and I can get food....it was amazing).
Tuesday, December 29th: Maybe this was the day I watched Doctor Who? I really don't know, because all remember is being lazy and staying on the couch, all day. That's really what vacation should be about....doing nothing. I feel I was successful in that endeavor.
Later that night, my sister and I went to the musical Spring Awakening. It was brilliant. This revival of the musical was all done in American Sign Language. All dialogue and musical numbers were spoken and signed. The cast was a mix actors who were deaf and those who were hearing. It was wonderful. If you are in NYC this month, make an effort to attend. I believe it's run on Broadway ends towards the end of January. :(
This musical WILL give you ALL THE FEELS......we ate a lot of cupcakes after the show.
Wednesday, December 30th: Nothing too exciting happened this day. My sister had to work, so I decided to head down where she worked and do a little more shopping. I just want to let you all know that I went into Kate Spade....and actually refrained from buying anything. This was a big moment for me...because I didn't think it would ever be possible for me to go into that store and NOT buy anything. No regrets. I did buy an outfit at Athleta, though. :)
Thursday, December 31st (New Years Eve): I did nothing during the day....absolutely nothing. It was wonderful.
I had an appointment at Scott J. Aveda (Upper West Side) that afternoon/evening to get my hair primped and styled, and my makeup done for NYE. I felt very fancy. I shall post pics below of the end result. I wore my sparkly top from Free People, faux leather leggings (from Amazon.com..haha), and Salvatore Ferragamo wedges. I was ready to hit the town (slowly though...it took me awhile to get used to walking in those wonderful shoes, hahaha).
We met up with my cousin Kurtis and Ryan for a lovely dinner at Joanne's Trattoria (owned by Lady Gaga's parents). The dinner was fabulous. I had the sea scallop's in cream sauce, with homemade fettuccine. For dessert.....Nutella Lasagna (to die for).
No, we didn't go to Times Square (that place is just cray). But, we did watch the festivities on TV, from the comfort of the apartment. :)
Friday, January 1st (2016): Time for me to go home. :( I had such a lovely time thanks to my sister, Kurtis and Ryan.....not to mention all of my sister's friends and the staff at Scott J. Aveda. I love NYC. It is truly one of my favorite places to be. I look forward to going back soon-ish.
For those of you who have been to NYC, where are you favorite places to hit up in the city?
And now for a barrage of pictures (these are not in order...but, oh well):
Disclaimer---most of the photo cred. for the following pictures goes to my lovely sister. Without her photos, there would be no proof (other than my memories) of the fun that we had. Thanks Elizabeth! :)
My beautiful Ferragamos....I shall protect you always. Thanks sistah!
NYE Dinner at Joanne's!!! Food and Family...best NYE EVER!!
Thanks Scott J.---you made me look so fancy!
Now we are smizing (smiling with our eyes).
On our way to church for Christmas Eve Mass!
(Look at all of the goodies my sister got me from AVEDA!)
#Iamlucky
Murray's Cheese Bar....delicious.
Prepping Christmas Dinner..Yum! :)
Look ma'...we're reclining...in a movie theater. We feel fancy.
NYE fanciness...collage.
Posing in a subway station....practicing our skills with the newly acquired selfie stick.
Ice Cream....aka...more selfie stick practice.
Being prim and proper at Tea & Sympathy.
Feeling fab and fancy.
*********************************************************************************
Yay!!!! I did it! I posted part 2 and I did it on a Saturday. I am so proud of myself. I even managed to schedule a nap for today.
Thank you for reading this post, everyone. Until next time....stay fancy!


No comments:
Post a Comment